Thursday, November 22, 2007

Penguins Fall to Devils 2-1; Crosby's Streak Ends

The Penguins dropped another division game tonight against the rival New Jersey Devils in what can only be deemed a disappointment. Not only does this mark the end of a potential 17 point month (in which the Pens only mustered up 5), but it also marks the end of Crosby's 19 game point streak and a new home at the bottom of the Atlantic.

I suppose the most exciting thing to happen all game (from a Penguins fan perspective) came within the first two seconds of the first when Ryan Malone and David Clarkson dropped mitts. It wasn't exactly a heavy weight champion caliber fight, but it was at the least entertaining.

I'd like to say the best part was Malkin's goal, but my cable opted to go out for roughly 30 seconds, just enough time to take away the live aspect of a Malkin goal. When the cable came to again, the score was 2-1 Devils.

That'd be it though. I think I'm man enough to say that Brodeur had one hell of a game. Glad the Penguins could contribute to win number 501. Only 50 more for him till he beats Roy. At this rate, if he plays the Penguins sixty more times this season, he'll at the least tie the record. Thankfully that's not the case.

Ok, I promised I wouldn't turn into the bitter, cynical, downtrodden early season fan. Good times lie ahead. Zen complete us all. Find my center...

It hurts that both Devils goals came on the power play. It hurts even more that both came from Zach Parise. And, it hurts three times as much that I saw the play unfolding before my eyes and yet the defense couldn't cover. They gave the Devils so many attempts at running the same power play attack, and yet remained defenseless.

Despite the loss, I am gaining more and more faith in Fleury. This wasn't his game to lose. It was Brodeur's to win, no doubt, but the loss falls on the defense. Hell, I'll blame the offense too.

On a personal note, I'm pretty convinced the FSN signal I was watching was pirated. Right around the time of the Malkin goal, my cable went out and was just showing the rainbow lines on the screen. It also said "Verizon Cable." The thing is, I don't have Verizon. Then, the signal went in and out, and I faintly heard, as if off-mic, "I swear to God, if I work Saturday and he's off I'm going to F'ing kill him."

That wasn't it though. As the game wore on one of the announcers, after reacting to Adam Hall's hit at center ice, said "Wow, are the Penguins hitting now." To this, a voice jumped on the air and said "Yeah, they really can hit." After a slight fuzz, the audio of the announcers came back on.

I don't necessarily know if it was a genuine pirated broadcast, as the announcing team did apologize for "Technical difficulties." But, I'm going to stand by my belief that it happened. Did anyone else hear it?

On a final note, the Pens head in to Ottawa tomorrow night to take on the Senators. Much to my surprise (and I'm sure fans around the league) the Sens lost to Buffalo tonight 4-2.

Never mind the fact Emery the start over the infallible Gerber...