Sunday, October 28, 2007

Carey Price - Penguin Killer

I should've known that Price would be in net tonight. His only other win on the season came against the Pens, so why would the Canadiens' coaching staff think otherwise? Besides, Huet got a good workout last night, I should've known he'd be off.

But why of why did Price have to get the win? Through three periods, one overtime and eight rounds of a shootout, the Pens climbed back to only lose in the end.

Talbot surprised me with a start tonight, as it was initially rumored he'd sit out with neck soreness. Tyler Kennedy got his first start, and although he didn't tally a point I feel he really made his presence known on the ice almost acting as the hitman replacement for the scratched Gary Roberts. Laraque was also a scratch on the night, as I'd imagine he's still dealing through his groin problems.

And you know what? I really admire Crosby's leadership when he retailiated on Kovalev following the hit in the back to Malkin. Granted, he could have stayed out of the box and been on the powerplay, but I think Crosby knew what the team needed - a jolt of energy to rally some sort of comeback.

Before the end of the second is was Crosby and Sykora each netting a goal, before the tying and highly anticipated one finally came in the third from a Whitney shot on the powerplay. (Mark that 10 straight game the Pens have had a PP goal).

Now on to the goaltending situation. As far as I'm concerned, every goalie has their ups and downs. If you needed any further evidence (aside from Fleury) then look no further than Carolina's Cam Ward who gave up seven goals to Montreal last night. Fleury? I think the guy could use a game or two off. He's so hot and cold it's scary, but he's still more than capable. However, I don't see him playing like the 40 game winner I saw last year.

Prior to this game, and even last night's Montreal game, I never perceived the Canadiens as being much of an offensive threat. I'll be honest, most of the Montreal games I've seen have all been close ones, especially the overtime shootout loss to Florida on a goal scored in the closing seconds of what looked to be a Huet shutout.

The Penguins' powerplay unit went 2-6 on the night, which I perceive as being above average. The Habs went 1-7 after going an AMAZING 5-9 last night. Good thing they really clicked against Carolina and not the Pens. Another painful big-margin loss would have been unbearable.

I'd also like to just go on the record as saying that Ryder wrister in the second period was lightning. I didn't even see that thing leave his stick, and to be completely honest with you I didn't even see it in the net. You can imagine how taken back I was to find out it was a goal.

Tonight's loss makes it two straight for the Pens, who now embark on a four game road trip starting with Minnesota on Tuesday. I've just gotten word that Minnesota's rising backstop Backstrom suffered a groin injury. The team has recalled a netminder from the AHL, as Backstrom will sit tomorrow's game. With any luck, the Pens can faceoff Tuesday night against a Backstrom-less Wild. At this point, they'll take what they can get.

The Pens have now fallen to 5-4-1 on the season.

Penguins Goals


1st Period
NONE

2nd Period
Sykora from Malkin-Hall
Crosby from Malkin-Whitney

3rd Period
Whitney from Malkin-Sykora PPG