Monday, October 15, 2007

No word on Orpik...break before Devils

There's hansn't be any word what so ever on Brooks Orpik since he blacked out on the ice Saturday night. By the looks of things it's a concussion, but I've heard nothing as of yet if Therrien plans to put him in the line-up or not for Wednesday night against the Devils.

Speaking of, the Penguins have a nice period of time here to relax and shape up from that win against the Leafs. Personally, I'd rather they didn't have 4 days between games, especially after coming off a road win. I'd almost like to see them roll right in to the next town and keep going with it. Yet, when one of your hardest hitting defenseman is out with a 'brain tweak', I don't mind the time off.

Mark Recchi is looking to get his hand in on an ownership deal, only it's not going to be with the Penguins. Recchi and Daryl Sydor, along with other NHL stars Shane Doan of the Coyotes, Jarome Iginla of the Flames and a Vancouver-based businessman by the name of Tom Gaglardi are looking to all share ownership of the Western Hockey League's Kamloops Blazers. The connection comes from Sydor and Recchi both having played for Kamloops and wanting to preserve the team's heritage and keep it based in the hometown. Businessman Tom Gaglardi is also trying to purchase the Vancouver Canucks.

Finally, on more of a side note, Mike Lang's broadcasts just get on my nerves sometimes. Then again, I've always had an issue with people who do their own color commentary. Don't get me wrong, if I'm listening and hear a goal I give a fist pump or something of that nature, but the last thing to cross my mind is a line like "Slap me silly Sidney" or "Let's go hunt Moose on a Harley." It just doesn't strike me as powerful commentary. I often just wind up shaking my head and saying "What?" Borderline buzz kill.

Come tomorrow we'll take a look at the Devils of 07, and see what the Penguins have to look forward to on Wednesday night. Till then, let's hope Orpik is in good shape for the game, and I'll keep my eyes and ears open on any word going around.