Monday, December 10, 2007

The Letang bandwagon

I was checking out some other Pens blogs today and found pretty much everyone jumping on the Letang wagon. I find this funny on many different levels. First off, and I don't want to link the article so as to spare bad relations, but back in September a certain blogger on a rather dominate hockey site claimed Kris Letang wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready for at least another season.

When the Pens dropped four in a row in early November, I felt if Therrien was going to call up a player at any point, that would be a good time. Coming off the poor play of Sydor and Recchi, I kinda felt a D-man and forward would get the call to compensate. Look at the roster now, and you see Tyler Kennedy and Kris Letang have found a comfortable, new home.

One week before Letang was called up, I asked this specific blogger if he thought now would be a good time for Letang to make the jump. "Not yet" I remember him saying, "he still needs work."

Today when I read his blog, he was praising Letang. How he's the 'savior' of the Pens and the future of the blueline. He even tries to take credit for saying he "knew it all along."

Now, I'm not trying to play the I'm better than you card. But seriously man, I called it two days before it happened.

Letang was also my pick as a prospect.

And here.

I'm happy that Letang could make a believer out of the disbelievers. And although he's had his share of some whiffs on shots and even a few plays in the Pens' own end that could have proven costly, he's no doubt a great addition to the roster.

In the end, if he has to score three straight game-winning goals to prove his worth, then so be it. That's an exchange I'll take any day.