Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Recchi is bitter - why? Therrien is angry - justified?

Mark Recchi has been quoted in Atlanta papers as being bitter about the ties between him and the Pens. He was recently quoted in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review as saying, "They'll see," Recchi told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I didn't get 68 points for no reason last year."

As the paper said, and I and many fans around the Pens' world will agree, that reason was Sidney Crosby.

Recchi was a highly respected player in the Penguins community. His charity work with fans and his respectable nature on and off the ice for the team as a whole was something that allowed Pittsburgh fans to wish him all the best after his time in town. I personally even said I was happy to see him get with a big club in his last season, rather than go out with a minor league affiliate.

But now, I can honestly say, my opinion has changed.

It's a shame Rex. I enjoyed your time in Pittsburgh. When I look back on some of the fonder memories of the team, your 500th goal comes to mind. I was happy to see you achieve that milestone with the same team that brought you into the league, the same team you played with on three separate occasions. But now - now I look forward to the Pens paying you a visit on January 12. I hope your buddy Gary rocks you out.

There's also a lot more controversy surrounding the recent beating from the Flyers. Coach Therrien felt it was inappropriate for the Flyers' Coach Stevens to send out his number one power play when the score was 7-2. Perhaps to make matters even worse, the goon Ben Eager proceeded to tell Coach Therrien, "You're a joke" when he passed him in the hallway after the game. Therrien's reply was precisely, "Fack you."

Therrien was also quoted as saying:

"Are we talking about the same team that got five guys suspended this year?" Therrien said. "It is a lack of respect what (Stevens) did tonight. At 7-2 you don't send your best power play on the ice. Even Daniel Briere didn't want to go on the ice. It is a lack of respect.

I would've also liked for him to say something like, "Are we talking about the same team that lost all eight games to us last year?" That would've been nice.