Sunday, December 23, 2007

My Return - Pens go 2-2

I'm back from my Northern ventures. In the past week I've tried to pack as much excitement and activity into seven days that I was hardly able to keep up on the news. In my visits to Toronto, Ottawa, Niagara and Buffalo, I was fortunate enough to at least have comprehensive hockey coverage to at least keep me in the loop of things.

Not at all shocked by Chris Simon's stomp on Ruutu. There had to have been something mentally wrong with a player to begin with if he's going to take a baseball swing at another's face. Last season I partially thought to myself, "Well, the trainers did say he acted out of character in part to a concussion sustained on the previous hit. Even still, that seemed like a stretch to me. But now I think it's safe to say that Chris Simon is certifiably insane.

Pens were victims to their first scoreless game of the season thanks in part to Lunqvidst and the Rangers. As upset as I was to see such a blemish come from the hands of the Rangers, I was just as equally happy to see Gaborik pop five goals past "King" Henrik a few nights later. The King looked more like a peasant.

Oh yes, holy crap, Crosby throws down! At first when I was checking a score online I was totally surprised to see Crosby in the box for a five minute fighting major. Before midnight hit I was able to find a TV and watch the action myself. You know what? The kid held his own. At first I thought he was a little late to drop his gloves, especially the right gauntlet he seemed to launch towards Ference's face. All in all though, the kid held his own. I don't care what anyone says; if you send the other guy away to the dressing room with blood trickling down, you made your point.

And finally Friday's game against the Islanders proved to be a disappointment. Why can't the Pens win games in their division? This is really going to kill them come the end of the season and the playoff race. Four wins...FOUR WINS out of the team's 17 are in the division. On a similar note, ten losses for a Atlantic Division record of 4-10-1. Not exactly what you'd call impressive.

But we have tonight against the Bruins to worry about. In their last meeting earlier this week Ty Conklin tallied his first win with the Pens, barely hanging on for the shootout victory. The Bruins managed to squeak a point out of that one, whereby at one time they were losing 4-0. Thanks to a collapsing Pens D and stupid penalties, the Bruins rallied back with two PP goals, one shorty and an even strength to send it to overtime and ultimately a shootout. Kudos to Conklin.

Happy to be home after a crazy week of traveling. I'll have some pics up soon, as well as some news as to where you can read Pensburgh in 2008. Till then, everyone enjoy the weekend, the holidays and the time spent with family. And remember - Ice Bowl at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo on January 1st, 1p.m. on NBC.